Saturday, April 26, 2008

Really, I don't need sleep

Sleep has been hard to come by these days. See, honey? We can't live (or at least sleep) without you here. But then again, when you are here, you can't sleep (just a minor case of insomnia caused by stress).

Anyway, Thursday night we had some wicked thunderstorms roll through. All night long. EE was up a little after 1am because "my tummy hurts". So onto our floor she went, a special treat since daddy was gone. Then soon after came the loud thunderboomers, so she would've been up anyway. And then LC starts to cry hysterically, so into my bed she goes. Again, because daddy was gone. We were in and out of bed quite a few times because a new line of storms would roll through about every 45 minutes. I don't have our weather radio set up yet, so I would haul everyone downstairs to watch the radar and make sure we weren't going to be hit by a giant tornado and then tell everyone to go back to sleep. That's so easy when the winds are blowing at about 40 mph and for some reason paper shades over the windows don't seem to keep the bright flashes of lightning out. I think we all fell asleep for the night (morning) around 6 am.

Everyone was up in time for preschool, yet just a tad bit crabby. We had a playdate that had been set up for awhile, so one of EE's preschool friends came over for lunch along with his two younger sisters. EE did pretty well (she tends to be a little, shall we say, bossy, at times) but LC was having a hard time. By the time they left it was about 1 hr past nap time with no routine what-so-ever. So she was a bear cat to get down for nap.

LC is our good child when it comes to sleeping. Read her a book, put her in bed, and see her in the morning. End of story. Just the other day dh mentioned how "easy" she was--way to go, dummy, you jinxed it. Tonight she was up crying about 10 minutes after going to bed. Got her out, read another book, back to bed. Hysterical crying 5 minutes later. I came in and told her that would not fly with me, see ya in the morning, toots. Haven't heard a peep from her yet.

So you think I should get a nice night of uninterrupted sleep, right? Bed to myself, sleeping children. Oh, no. The sump pump alarm decides to go off. At 5 am . Or at least that is when my sleeping brain recognized that sound isn't normal--it was probably going off for awhile. What do you do when you are up at 5 am? Check you e-mail, do a quick blog stalk, and write a scintillating entry on your own blog.

Get home soon, honey. I need some sleep.

3 comments:

Glenda said...

it is 8:06 and the boys are still sleeping. Debating how long I will let that go on, before I start banging things around for breakfast. Leo took a dislike to your DH and I believe slept outside his room all night, guarding it. May be too cool for golfing, I have several projects they could help me with, including setting up my handiquilter and fixing my new phone so it rings, but they didn't display a great deal of enthusiasm for those ideas. Nor do they apparently want to go to the zoo and see the vultures, like I do.

kmm0305 said...

Maybe you could just torture them with vulture sounds--ask them would they like to hear the real thing or have you caterwaul all day long? ;) Or pull out your lemur imitation--that's a good one! J was at least impressed that Simon was giving him some lap time, something Elway never does (for J that is, he was up in my lap this morning with LC and EE giving him a nice rub-down)

Glenda said...

Well, now it is snowing, so golfing has really gone out the window. The Handi quilter may get set up however! I just watched the video on how to do it. The boys left to go to the airport, and I was downstairs watching the video, and I hear a cat crying. Leo is walking down the stairs with one of his paper balls in his mouth, just crying....sad that everyone has left him and there is no one to play with. Such a tragic life for a little cat.