Sunday, July 26, 2009

Where did this ambition come from?!

I think I've mentioned before that I am very decorating challenged. I don't know what my decorating style is, or if I even have one besides "cheap, easy, and boring". My crowning achievement in decorating is the gallery wall I put up last year, but other than that we have lots of blank wall space. I mean LOTS.

It seems like everyone's house I go to is beautifully decorated. Obviously they have more talent (and money) than me. I've even put off having the neighborhood gals over because of my lack of decorating skills. Don't get me wrong, I have a beautiful house--I just want it to feel like my "home".

I have a couple friends (and friends of friends) who are either interior designers or just very good at decorating. In the past couple months they have visited and given some suggestions, and yesterday I decided to get cracking. I started with the entryway since it is the first thing everyone sees when they come. I still have a few things to finish off, so no pictures yet. (I know, this post is useless without pictures--I just wanted to document that I actually did something!)

Here are a few sneak peaks of what may be in store for when you come to visit:






The rug I got is actually bigger than this one has has more of the floral pattern to it. For all I know it may be way too big for the space but the colors were exactly what I wanted and I loved the pattern.

There is also a picture frame (awaiting a photo from our photo shoot) and my large mirror which I need to rotate after being given that suggestion by someone who knows way more about decorating than me.

Now I only have about 8 or so more rooms to go. I have a few more ideas rattling around my head and even have some of the materials to put things up, but need many more opinions from the "experts".

And what is your feeling on the vinyl wall sayings? Can you have too many? Will they be passe soon? I love the look of the one I put up in the entryway and am ready to put them up all over.

8 comments:

TJ said...

I like the quotes, too. If you like them, go with it, regardless if they are trendy. I spend too much time worrying about what others think.

I am going to get a few in the new house.

Can't wait to see photos!

Anonymous said...

Just came to your site from BigMama's. Looks like we're all blogging about decorating. I am "designerly challenged" as well. Too many decisions and too much money!!!

I'm going to do the wall decals in my laundry room. Everyone needs a pretty laundry room, right? We spend enough time in there!

Unknown said...

Don't forget your super cool sister who suggested the keys! :D

Glenda said...

I like the graphics that are available in vinyl too. Of course, my idea of decorating is removing most of the visible cat hair from surfaces before company comes, soooooooo......

Looks great so far!

Bad Mommy said...

Love the wall quotes, they're cheap, easy wall filler.

Eagerly awaiting photos....

Dandy said...

I like the sayings and when they go out of style you either take them down or paint over it.

And I love those keys.

Joy said...

I love the wall quotes we just put up two in our house.

Living room wall says All Because two people fell in love which is my blog title and all our pictures will be around it as soon as I get the last 2 frames bought

Bedroom wall above our bed says Real love stories never have endings

Cristin said...

I LOVE that style of rug.. I forget what it's called... when I was in my cross stitching phase I was hunting for a pattern like that to stitch... just love it.