Friday, December 4, 2009

Miss Indecisive

Subtitle: Would you wear this?

So I've been shopping for myself this past week. We have one Christmas "party" to go to, a cookie exchange, and then Christmas itself. Since I stay at home I tend to wear things like jeans and thermal shirts or even fleece pants and slippers. I don't think I can show up to hubby's supervisor's house wearing slippers.

The search for decent clothes began, and I quickly became discouraged. After trying on 6,492 pair of black/dark grey pants at Kohls I was ready to throw in the towel. I managed to find a pair that were okay at Old Navy, just to have a pair.

Then I went shopping at Younkers. I'm not sure how far-reaching the Bon Ton department stores are, but here where I am we have Younkers. They usually have decent sales and then coupons on top of sales. When I went to try on a skirt and one more pair of black pants, the person in the dressing room before me just happened to leave a few behind in my size. I tried one on and . . . . they fit! Of course since I am short, I will have to hem them. Comes with the territory.

As I was checking the price on the pants, I spotted a cute sweater on the clearance rack. This picture doesn't do it justice, it is cuter in person and falls open more. It is actually a cardigan and snaps together up at the top.


I thought about wearing it with either a white or red fitted long sleeved t-shirt underneath. I got a couple of chunky, longer necklaces with red/black/grey in them to wear with it.

So then it comes to the shoes. I had bought a pair of zebra flats from Target, but they aren't doing it for me right now. I saw these on the clearance rack and thought they would work with the sweater. Can you wear sling backs in the winter?

I also have this shirt that gives me another option. I had it on with a pair of dark wash jeans and the shoes and thought it looked dressy enough to wear to the Christmas party. What do you think?
While I was going a little crazy at Younkers, they had these EMU boots on sale. They are Ugg-like, but a step down from the real Ugg. Instead of being sheepskin on the inside, they are wool and the outside is suede. I wore them around the house a little bit and they just aren't doing it for me. I think they are going back.
So there you go. I'm second guessing the grey shoes right now, mainly because I don't own any dressy shoes and don't know how to wear dressy shoes to look right with an outfit. I thought they looked okay with both jeans and dress pants, but I could be totally way off base. I never said I was a fashion guru. The only person I had available for opinions while shopping was three-foot-two and had cookie crumbs on her face. How come it is so easy to dress her (you should have seen her today, a-dor-a-ble) but me not so much?
ETA: After playing dress-up tonight, the black pants will probably be going back, too. Yes, I tortured myself by trying on bazillions of pants only to buy a pair and bring them home and see they are very similar to the other one pair of black pants I own. They vary at the style of the hem/leg opening just slightly, but not enough for me to buy them to wear once a year. And yes, that is how many times I wore the pants last year. And the year before.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

The sweater is cute. I'd wear it with white, personally, and black pants. Yes, you can wear slingbacks during the winter, just be prepared for your pants to get stuck every so often. Those are cute, though.

The other shirt is cute, too, but I don't know if it's dressy enough. Is it cotton or a knit? Maybe with the right accessories it would be okay.

Too bad we don't wear the same size of shoes, I'd let you borrow a few things. At least you can always come to me for fashion advice! :D

kmm0305 said...

The ruffle shirt is more on the dressy side, and I'm thinking it is just an appetizer party at someone's house and should be fine. It is a shinier fabric than a regular knit and the ruffles are sheer.

So now, are wide-leg pants with a cuff still "in"?

Unknown said...

They better be, because that's all I wear for work.

If you wear the ruffle shirt, I'd pair it with some cute drop earrings and a chunky bracelet - a necklace with the ruffles might be too much.

Jenn M said...

I was you on Friday and actually had to go to Kohl's 3 hours before the party with ALL THREE kids in tow. A holiday miracle occurred when I not only found boots that were on sale for 28.99 but also, are you ready...TWO pair of dressy jeans that not only fit, but slimmed my HUGE behind just a bit. Oh, and they were 17.99; probably won't last more than a wear or two, but for that price, I'm okay.
Had to share...we so need to live closer, we'd be great buds! Oh, and glad your grinch is gone!