Friday, September 4, 2009

Say "Cheese!"

Today is school picture day. Ever since Emma's first school picture last year, we have been giving her a bad time about smiling for this year's picture. Last year's picture was okay--but she has a forced half-smile that looks nothing like her. It's gotta be better this year, right?

The past two weeks the first graders have worn a certain color every day. They then could wear their favorite color today, coincidentally on school picture day. Emma is still going through her "I'm picky about clothes" phase, so I asked her what her favorite color was. She said any boy color (thanks for the direction). She really didn't have anything in her closet, so I went and bought three shirts for her to choose from for picture day. And she vetoed every one. I guess all it took to please her was a $3 red short-sleeved shirt from Wal-Mart. Can't wait to see how the picture turns out.

I would venture to guess that in my 12 or so school pictures, there are maybe 2-3 that I would think look good now. What can I say, it was the 80's--we didn't know much about fashion. When I was in kindergarten I had short hair to begin with, then I decided to cut my bangs up to my hairline. I'm sure that was a great shot. I think it is either my 1st or 2nd grade photo I like the best. My hair actually looks blond, my mom had french braided it, and I had on a cute pink plaid shirt (that my mom made). Then I remember a string of really bad photos. 4th grade--the lovely "permullet" where the top is short and permed and the back is long and straight. 5th grade--hair cut short like a boy. 6th grade--bad perm, first year with braces, long plastic black beads. Good thing I don't have a scanner.

Since I am worthless and don't have any pictures to back up my claims of ugliness and awkwardness, head over to www.awkwardfamilyphotos.com and delight in other people's bad pictures. I had seen the site before about 6 months or so ago, but spent most of the day yesterday browsing through and getting a good laugh. I think Glenda should send in her photo she has of her holding a birthday cake and some sort of animal antlers coming out of her head thanks to her mother's posing skills. We also have a few that I can think of that might be awkward enough.

2 comments:

Cristin said...

I love that awkward family photo site. I should submit my 5th grade school pic, I wouldn't let my mother touch my hair so it's everywhere and I have a huge sty in my eye and it's just about swelled shut.. actually, come to think of it... I destroyed all copies of that photo that I could find.

Jenn M said...

One of my worst is up on FB thanks to someone who found it necessary to post class pictures from the 5th grade. Thank goodness it's hard to see since the whole class is there. I swear I didn't know to look in the mirror back then!

Jason is our picture mess...the boy can not take a good picture to save his life; you have to catch him unaware or it's trouble. I can't wait to see his school pic this year, it will be funny.