Wednesday, September 30, 2009

My routine

My routine is there is no routine. I had grand visions of getting so much done with one in school full time and one in school three mornings a week. Like coming home after preschool drop-off and exercising, then showering, then running errands, then picking up. Yeah, that hasn't happened yet. And when do I get all the other stuff done like cleaning or cooking or folding laundry? I'm not the type to have Monday be laundry day and Tuesday be cleaning and Wednesday by grocery shopping and . . . you get the idea. Somewhere between my grand ideas and the follow-through, life happens.

Like Monday when I had a killer migraine and could barely make it through supper and bedtime. The twenty pots and pans used for making lasagna didn't get washed. And now it is Wednesday and they are still on the counter, dirty. I was going to wash them yesterday after I got home from running to Des Moines, but then a friend needed help watching her son for a little while after school and it was too nice out to be inside doing dishes. And I thought I had supper all figured out last night (grilling hamburgers) until I realized the grill ran out of propane on Sunday. I almost just had Quiznos deliver a couple sandwiches, but decided to make mini-meatloaves. We aren't big meatloaf fans (or at least hubby isn't) but this recipe got rave reviews on allrecipes. So that was all fine and dandy until Emma decided we should practice spelling words while supper was cooking. The timer went off and we were still spelling, so the mini meatloaf got a little done. Hubby was so kind to call them meteorites. It didn't help that he called at 6pm to say he was running late and hoped to be home by 7:30 but it was 8pm by the time he made it home. So where is the routine in all of that?!

Then I woke up around 4am with the beginning of a sore throat, headache, and body chills. Hmm, wonder what that could be?! Great, just great. Some Advil and sleep helped some, but I think after preschool drop-off I'm coming home and going back to bed. And yes, that is me in my pj's in the drop-off line. So all my plans of washing dishes and putting laundry away and picking up the house a bit today are out the window again. To add to my already not routine day, Emma has an early dismissal so she will be home around 1pm.

See, a chaotic life is routine around here.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

At least it's good to know it runs in the family.

So maybe we'll see you this weekend? I think we're leaning more towards having the party on Saturday anyway... M seems to be doing better today.

TJ said...

I hear ya! Daren wonders why I don't get more done. What? In the two hours the little tornado is gone? Schedules don't work for me, either. I get discouraged when something else comes up.

Our big problem is any of us getting sick throws a big wrench into the plans. Mable is home sick again today.

Tara

Glenda said...

you would get bored if there was a routine.

Hope you feel better soon. I was thinking I was just having a bad allergy day Mon/Tues, but don't know, maybe it is a sinus thing. At least my throat wasn't burning sore this morning so I did make it to work.

Ken gets back from NY late tonight and I leave for SD early tomorrow (or as early as I feel like, if my sinuses still hurt I may sleep in a bit...)

Cristin said...

I had the same delusions about a new school year routine, the organizing, exercising ones especially. It hasn't been happening for me either. Oh, and I had a migraine this week too.

Beth Dunn said...

I so hear you. I've been meaning to get 100 things done including my closet, work, losing weight--fyi not even 50% xoxo

Bad Mommy said...

I find that having ALL of them in school full time is helpful.

Hope you feel better soon!