Friday, August 7, 2009

The end is in sight

In just 13 days that big, old yellow bus will be rolling down the street at 7:31am. Summer has gone by quickly, but some days the start of school won't come soon enough. Of course there are things I had wanted to get done over the summer that I didn't even attempt, and other things we should've done but didn't do. Like my closet cleaning/organizing project? Yeah, that never got off the ground.

At the beginning of the summer, I dubbed it "The Summer of the Sisters". The girls would play together all day long, and still want to speak to each other the next morning. And for the most part they played nicely together. I gave Emma the task of reading a book to Leah before naptime, so usually Emma would read and then tuck her in. They took turns playing on the computer, they watched movies together, Emma pulled Leah in the wagon, they played in the sprinkler, they dumped 3, 892 piece of Littlest Pet Shop accessories on the floor multiple times. For a couple weeks they even slept on Emma's floor together.

As you know, even the happiest of couples needs some "alone" time. The whine factor has increased this week (or my tolerance has gone down, one of the two) and yesterday they were quick to separate when I told them to go play by themselves. But once that bus rolls in on the 20th, Leah is going to be a little lost. Thankfully she will be going to preschool three mornings a week, but she won't start until after Labor Day.

Growing up I had two sisters and never remember playing with them like these two played together this summer. Maybe it is because I don't remember a whole lot from when I was 6, or maybe it was the fact that the age differences between us were a little more (3 years older and 4 years younger). I had to share a room (and a bed!) with my younger sister and the memories I have of that aren't all sunshine and roses. And by playing with each other you mean torturing each other and locking each other out of the house, then yes, I guess we did play together.

In these last 13 days before school start we're going to try and get a lot done: free bowling, going to the swimming pool, celebrating a birthday, going to the State Fair, having all the family over, and maybe even going to a local park or two. All that and trying to adjust our bedtime/morning routine to accommodate the 7:31 pick up time should be fun. Ha!

2 comments:

Cristin said...

You know what? I don't even know when Graham's school year starts.... his summer program ends next week and then I just don't know... maybe the 2nd??

I remember a mix of playing nicely and fighting fiercly with my siblings...normal childhood I guess...

Jaime's World said...

Kristyn,
Thanks for posting on Jaime's blog. Your husband's work is sounds so exciting! Jared would LOVE to see the wind farms! Perhaps some day, when Jaime is more stable and less of a "traveling freak show." HA! (We only have one turbine in the Cleveland area so far and that's in front of the Science Museum.)
Love the pics of the girls! Glad to hear how well Leah is doing! Sounds like both girls had a fun summer!
Thanks again for posting and keeping up with our family! Good luck with school...Jared starts on Aug. 25th. It's kind of bittersweet!

Sheryl