Monday, August 3, 2009

Insomnia

If there are three things I will remember about the summer it would be 1. cooler than normal temps (love it!), 2. insomnia (hate it!) and 3. I can't come up with a third due to lack of sleep. I had my bouts of insomnia with each pregnancy, and no--I am not currently pregnant. Usually I am woken up to go to the bathroom, or hubby is snoring, or the cat sounds like he's going to hack up a furball and then I can't get back to sleep.

I will say that having insomnia in 2009 is way better than in 2003 and even 2005. You see, back when I was pregnant with Emma we only had cable and dial-up internet. My late nights/early mornings were spent channel surfing and deciding which would be better to watch--reruns of Roseanne on Nick at Night or infomercials. Now we have high speed dial-up, satellite dish service, and DVR. Usually my first stop on the insomnia bus is on the computer, and there I will sit for an hour or two. Let me tell you, not many people update their Facebook status from 2-4 am unless they are in a different country. Although one time I did have quite the IM conversation with my BIL (who keeps very odd hours) where we came up with what we thought was a lucrative business proposal.

Anyway, last night was yet another sleepless night. I got up around 1 am and couldn't get back to sleep. I only spent about 5 minutes checking Facebook and a few other usual sites and decided to read instead. You see, I have had a book on my Goodreads "to read" list for awhile now, and for some reason unknown to me our library doesn't carry this authors books. I first read the Jen Lancaster book Bitter is the New Black a few years ago and thought she was hilarious. She has another book called Bright Lights, Big Ass (A Self-Indulgent, Surly Ex-Sorority Girl's Guide to Why It Often Sucks in the City, or Who Are These Idiots and Why Do They All Live Next Door to Me?) that I've been waiting to read and have been too lazy to put on an inter-library loan list. I was at Borders on Saturday looking for a birthday present for Leah and there in the "Buy one, Get one free" bin was the Jen Lancaster book. I started reading it yesterday afternoon and reluctantly put it down before bed. I ended up finishing it shortly before 4 am.

I thought life was good and I would get a blissful 4 hours of sleep, but about that time the thunderstorm hit. We have had very few thunderstorms this year, and this one happened to wake up Emma who came to join me in the guest bed. So maybe I got a couple hours of sleep after 5 am. That's what coffee is for, right?

On a side note, Bright Lights, Big Ass had me laughing out loud more than once yesterday. I've never seen an author so eloquently slip the term "asshat" into literary prose. She also refers to Rachel Ray as Miss Titter McHighbeams and drops the "f-bomb" enough times to practically lunge at Emma and grab the book away from her as quickly as I could because she knows how to read, you know. And I wasn't up to the task of defining asshat and f*cktard to a six year old just yet. Foul language aside (if you don't like that kind of thing), the book is hilarious.

Anyway, for as many hours as I've spent wide awake this summer when I should've been sleeping I could've gotten a lot of productive things done like alphabetize our DVD's or dust the baseboards. But then I wouldn't have had time to hone my mad skillz at Bejeweled Blitz at 3 am and catch up with all the blogs I read and get those Facebook updates from people I know in foreign countries.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm going to have to borrow that when we come over for Leah's party. I haven't read a book in what feels like ages.

Glenda said...

Went thrifting yesterday - found something absolutely FABULOUS for the dress up trunk. No, it is not a wig. Yes, it does have fringe. Will try to sent w/Leah's bday present.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Cristin said...

ooooh! F-bombs and making fun of Rachel Ray? Gotta get me this book!!

Melissa Stover said...

i remember those sleepless, miserable pregnant nights. now my baby is here and sometimes i still can't sleep then she wakes me up. :)