Sunday, January 17, 2010

Take Three

For my niece's 1st birthday party in October, I made this smash cake and cupcakes:






A friend saw them on facebook and asked if I would make the same thing for her daughter's birthday party. Sure! It was something I had already done, so I knew how it would turn out. And I got paid to make cakes for the first time. Earlier this month a friend of hers asked if I would make the cake/cupcakes again for a baby shower she was hosting for her sister. Again, I said sure. The small cake was bigger each of the last two times--I didn't take pictures this last time since it was bascically the same thing.

I do like making cakes, cupcakes and cookies for others, but I am my own worst critic. I don't like to ask people to pay for something if I don't think it looks "perfect". They probably don't see the small cracks and bubbles that I see. I also don't know what to charge--I've never bought cakes from a bakery so I don't know what to compare it to. The supplies themselves aren't too expensive, but it is time consuming.

Once I start googling cake images, I start to feel very inadequate. I know it is good enough for my kids and my neices/nephews, but when I see some of the things other amatuer cake makers can do--wow. Right now I just want to do it once in awhile so it remains fun. I have so many ideas I'd like to try, but not enough occasions!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

What you should do is pick one day a week to make a cake and then post it on your blog. I'm half tempted to do that myself with cookies since it seems I've been making cookies every Saturday since I got my mixer.

Rae Ann said...

SO cute! I made something like that for each of my kids first birthdays, but yours is WAY cuter!