Saturday, February 6, 2010

What's in a name

So after hearing multiple times, "You should go into business!" and having a nice FB chat with a friend last night, I'm trying to come up with potential business names should I get serious about selling baked goods. How the heck do I come up with a name that isn't taken/used/copyrighted/etc.

Recently someone in my town started a similar business (cupcakes made from organic ingredients, cookies, sweet breads) and the business is called "Sweetness", so I wouldn't really want anything with sweet in the name.

Yes, my name starts with a "K" and would lend itself to all sorts of alliteration and miss-spellings of words like kake, kookie, kupcake, konfection, but I'm not too keen on that idea. I don't want it to have cake, cookie, or cupcake alone in the name since I do all three plus more. Some of my ideas have bakery in the name, but I'm not really a bakery--just a woman with an oven.

Here are a few things that were floating around my head. I need more input, people! That means I need some actual comments!! ;)

  • Sugar Rush (although when I said that to hubby, he was like "What is that supposed to mean?"
  • Polka Dot Bakery (just because I like polka dots)
  • KM Bakery (I see a logo for this like a monogram--my initials used to be KMB. Both my middle and last names start with M)
  • C3 (like C "cubed" for cookies, cakes, cupcakes)
  • For the Love of Sweets (like "For the love of Pete!")

Of course hubby's helpful input was "Overpriced Baked Goods" to which I modified to "Rolling in the Dough". Get it? Ha ha. I don't think I'd get much business that way. Right now it is all still a pipe dream, but if you can dream it you can believe it, right?

5 comments:

TJ said...

I agree - no alliterations. I cringe every time I drive by Kathy's Kountry Kitchen and Kupcakz.

I don't have any great ideas, though. Maybe surf baking blogs for titles?

I would go for it. It isn't a huge investment.

natalie said...

"not a bakery - just a woman with an oven." You said it, and I like it.

Cristin said...

yeah. before i read the comments i was thinking;

'a woman with an oven' was genius.

Unknown said...

I like For the Love of Sweets or even as natalie said, just a woman (or gal) with an oven.

LMK if you want me to whip up a logo for you. You can get business cards printed for cheap at vistaprint.com. And I can help you with a website, too. :D

Aren't you so glad you have a talented sister?

Minyo said...

Goodness Cakes (for goodness sakes)

I also like "just a woman with an oven" -- kinda like the business "two men and a truck" -- the company name says it all