Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Random Wednesday

The girls and I are heading out of town today, but I have a few things I wanted to get in before we left. Totally random.
  • I feel like I've been living under a rock (or a hat) because before this week I guess I had never heard or picked up on the term "asshat". I came across it in a blog (and subsequent link in that post) first. Then I read it in a fiction novel I'm reading right now. I asked dh if he had heard it. I even googled it to make sure I was thinking it mean what I thought it did. It does. I guess we just don't go around calling people assholes all that much, so we haven't gotten the memo that they are now referred to as asshats. Now I know.
  • Okay, so this is related to the point mentioned above. When dh and I lived in MN one of the papers had a reader comment/story section. One of the subjects you could write in about was called "Baader-Meinhoff"---where you haven't heard a word or a subject before (i.e. asshat) and then you hear it in multiple places (blogs, books, etc). I'm sure you can think of something like that that has happened to you. If you haven't heard the term Baader-Meinhoff before, you will now probably hear or see about it within the next month or so. Let me know if you do.
  • If you tell your hairstylist that you want to go short, be prepared for short. I guess I don't mind too much because hair grows, and mine grows exceptionally fast when it is short. I hope that I can 1. Rock a short 'do and 2. Look cool with short hair. Shopping in a store on Senior Day makes you realize how many little old ladies have short hair. I'm not ready to look like a Grandma yet. Hopefully I can be cool like some of those stars that have short hair (like anyone under the age of 30; please don't tell me I look like Angela Lansbury like a HS teacher told me once).
  • Why does it take a full day to pack 3 people up to go away for a few days? There is the laundry, the packing, the picking up of the house before we leave, the making sure we have certain blankies and pillows and stuffed animals and movies and DVD's and on and on. I think we could live there for a month with as much crap as I have packed.
  • We are going to the county fair. This is an annual ritual I've taken part in every since I was little. All three of us girls even ran for Fair Queen; only one of us won (it wasn't me). There are cows, pigs, chickens, rabbits, sheep, homemade ice cream, good food, 4-H projects, rodeos, demolition derby's, watermelon feeds, steak suppers, homemade pie. . .those are just a few of the highlights. This is the 149th year the fair has run. I'm not taking my camera but hopefully between my dad's and my sister's, we'll get plenty of pictures.
  • I broke down and got another Starbucks yesterday. And a McDonald's iced coffee the day before that. Someome send me to rehab ASAP.

Better go finish getting packed!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I've heard the term asshat, and even used it a few times. You obviously don't hang out at the cool places.

Old ladies have short, blue hair. You have short brownish/blondish hair. I'm sure it's fine. At least you can commit to a hairstyle/length. How many times have I grown my hair out now?

Packing is one time I'm really glad G is a boy. He's easy to pack for: couple shirts, couple shorts, diapers and lovey. M&D have enough stuff (and by stuff I mean tractors) at their house to keep him happy so we don't have to drag stuff from ours.

I love the fair. It's never quite the same as when we were younger, but it's still fun to take the kids. See you tomorrow!

<3 the family fair queen. :)

Cristin said...

I saw the term Asshat on the blog Ashely's Closet. They were discussing some argument and used Asshat to describe some jerk. I remember that post only because I LOVE that term! I left a comment about it even.

I've been rockin the short do for a few years... my hair doesn't look good long or short so it doesn't really matter.... and 'rockin' it' is a total stretch...

I can't wait for our county fair... mid august I think... Graham freaks out for the animals.. and I'm sure Dottie will too!

Packing sucks... gazillion details to attend to and I always forget something of dire importance...

that was the longest comment I've ever left anyone...;)

Jenn M said...

you crack me up and I'm completely confident that your hair is rockin. I laughed out loud though about your concerns because whenever I cut my hair this spring all I could think about was that I was really embracing my 35ness!

Asshat? not my favorite but "fucktard" I absolutely love! Even if I'm too squeamish to use it out loud in front of anyone outside my super immediate circle.
Have a great time at the Country, oops I mean County, Fair! ;-)

Anonymous said...

That's me, leader of the creative insult brigade. Instead of using my scarce free time to make the world a better place, I expend my energy searching and concocting satisfying swear words.

My mom is so proud.