Monday, February 23, 2009

And I thought it wasn't going to happen to me

I guess I was a bit optimistic when I thought we had skipped some of the "typical" things that kids do. I would type them out here, but that is only begging for them to happen so I'll let you think of some on your own. You know those things that kids do and you wonder "Why do all kids do that?"

The in-laws had been here for the weekend and yesterday right before they left I was getting the girls ready to take a picture with them. And when I say getting them ready, I mean brushing their hair so it didn't look like they had just crawled out of bed. Anyway, as I was brushing Emma's hair I notice there is a small chunk of her bangs missing, right up to her scalp. Aye, aye, aye. I thought we had skipped that stage with her. I mean she is almost 6 and has been independently using scissors for almost 3 years now!

What got her into trouble was the fact that she denied it. Our girls know that punishment will be far less severe if you just tell the truth in the first place. When you cut your hair, tell me you don't know how it happened, yet the evidence is in your garbage, Mom is not happy. It is even more frustrating that we had just talked about how only Mom can cut hair and little girls don't cut hair. I see that got me far.

Hopefully it is one of those lessons learned. I told her it may look funny when it grows out and may not even be grown out when she starts first grade in the fall. I am using her as an example and hoping Leah won't follow in her footsteps. And yes, my own mother had to remind me how I went to kindergarten--with a fresh haircut up to the scalp courtesy of moi.

This little life lesson comes on the tail end of Emma's episode of being too nice to your friends. Her locker mate had made a statement about how she didn't have any money, so Emma took it upon herself to bring her some. Emma thought she was bringing her friend 2 one dollar bills which were actually 2 ten dollar bills. The other mom was nice enough to call me and let me know this had happened, and the money was to be returned the next day. Somehow from the morning to the afternoon the envelope with $20 in it got lost in the locker and Emma is now $20 poorer. Once again, lesson learned. I hope.

2 comments:

Bad Mommy said...

Me thinks someone needs a new locker mate. What kind of rough neighborhood are you living in? Oh, and the $$$ situation TOTALLY needs posted on the BHB as a WWYD.

Bad Mommy said...

Wait, one more thing.

Pictures. You need pictures of the deed.