Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Do we really need this month?

It's February, what can I say? It's that month that we think is really short just because it has a few less days--who are we kidding? We also like to think there are lots of other fun things in February--Groundhog's Day, Valentine's Day, President's Day. What's not to love, right? Wrong.

Any more holidays we want to make up? Seriously, Groundhog's Day is the biggest joke ever. Like my hubby says, where we live, only six more weeks of winter would be a blessing. Guess what? There really are six more weeks of winter whether that furry over-grown rodent sees his shadow or not! Gasp! Spring starts March 20th, which is approximately 6+ weeks (give a few days) from yesterday. And around here we've been known to have snow in April and May. The weather man would not shut up about Groundhog's Day yesterday, basically admitting that they look to a dumb animal to help them predict the weather--they have no clue.

February hasn't always been the best month for us either. Twice in 5 years February brought bad news that we didn't want to hear. With the state of the economy, many other people are getting the news we've gotten before this month. I hope the bleeding ends soon; it is depressing.

Valentine's Day is also over-rated. When hubby and I were dating, he went full-out romantic on Valentine's Day. Now he pulls his "stock" card from his briefcase, I read it, and he puts it away for another year. Romance at it's finest. I don't need candy; that would only set back all my work I've been doing on my resolution. Flowers look pretty, but not when the cat has knocked them over on the new dining room table or eaten them and given them back in a different form. Hubby and I had our yearly date a few weeks back which we joked would count for Valentine's Day, my birthday, our anniversary and any other special occasion we feel like celebrating. Guess what? I love my girls and my hubby everyday and they hear it everyday, I don't need a special day to buy them $4 cards from Hallmark to let them know again.

C'mom February, let's get you over with. You don't do much for me. After you we'll be one month closer to real spring. Enough of you and your "made-up" holidays. Enough of the doom and gloom and dreary, winter days. March is better with it's spring break and St. Patrick's Day--even though I'm not Irish and don't celebrate, it just sounds better than President's Day. Great people were born in March, let's get to it all ready so we can party.

P.S. Yes, I know great people were also born in February, like yesterday maybe. ;)

5 comments:

Bad Mommy said...

Ha ha. Groundhog's day is awesome! It's a holiday! Radio got the day off of work for it!

Okay, so maybe he got the day off because they decided to make the day after the Super Bowl a goal day but still... a day off constitutes a special holiday. ;)

Kim said...

Here in Georgia we call it Januweary and Febugly, but by March it's usually spring. So we just have two months to complain.

When I was in college, on my Kappa pledge mom's 21st birthday we had a huge blizzard. I will never forget it. April 26. I'm not lying.

Mary Welsh Hubbard said...

Amen sister!

Unknown said...

Yeah, we should just skip from January to March. :p

Cristin said...

I hear ya!!! Feb is the worst... and actually, March isn't much better...

We don't do V day around here...