Friday, June 26, 2009

How I Spent My Summer Vacation (so far)

You would think that with my infrequent blogging, we are just busy, busy, busy with summer activities. Um, yeah. Not so much. Still, summer is flying by and we have to be doing something to pass the days like:
I would be the one doing this, not the kids. Usually they are my audience or play Webkinz on the computer while I sweat away. And considering I started this shortly after my birthday in March, I am doing more of a 100+ day shred.

I read more books in the summer than any other time. While the girls play outside, I sit my ass in a chair and attempt to read inbetween requests to get snacks, put on helmets, applying sunscreen and negotiating world sisterly peace,. So far this summer I am into books about people who find dead people. The first series I read was by Charlaine Harris (still have to read the first book in the series of three) and the one I am currently reading is the Odd Thomas series by Dean Koontz.

Ah yes, a majority of my time is spent making peace between the girls. They actually play together about 90% of the time--I maybe have to intervene 25% of the time.


Since I read a lot, we tend to visit the library a lot. The girls also love to read and check out DVD's. Right now we currently have 46 items checked out. The girls are both doing the summer reading program; Emma has probably read a ton more than I have given her credit for.


With the grocery store around the corner now, we seem to make it there once or twice a week. Maybe someday we'll even walk there.
Of course there are the weekly trips to Target.
And when you mix Target with 90+ degree temps and humidity that would rival the Amazon, you end up with things like this. Of course we never had one growing up, so who am I to deprive my children the opportunity to slide down a wet, slippery piece of plastic into ice cold water? Leah can't quite hurl her 30lbs down the slide, so she ends up running and then crawling to the end. Yesterday I put in in the backyard down a slight decline, so gravity and a push from big sister helped give her some momentum. I haven't tried it out yet, the warnings of death are so far deterring me. That and I don't want to look like and idiot when I get stuck halfway down the slide, too.

At the end of next week we will make our annual trek to Omaha for baseball, food, fireworks, family, the zoo, and anniversary celebrations. After that is the county fair--the girls and I will spend the better part of a week up at my parents. Then swim lessons for Emma, the State Fair, and school will be starting. Summer is almost over! :P






1 comment:

Bad Mommy said...

Man, I knew I should've postponed my trip!

Your summer vacay sounds a lot like mine, minus Jillian, of course.