Thursday, October 8, 2009

Stuff

You would think that with 2 moves in 5 years, we wouldn't have much clutter. Ha. You would be very wrong. Hubby and I are both "keepers" and have a hard time throwing things away. Need the original box to the Tickle Me Elmo hubby gave me at our rehearsal dinner 12 years ago? Got it. How about hubby's baseball trophies from when he was in jr. high. Got those too, thanks to the in-laws. Also have professional journals from 10 years ago (maybe looked at them once, haven't opened them again), every Christmas card we've received in the past 10 years, college and grad school papers and notes, a t-shirt collection that sits in a box, many unfinished (or even unstarted) projects . . . the list goes on and on and on. We can perpetuate this because we have a storeroom, a large garage, and many closets.

Along with all the "stuff" we don't really need, we have all the kids' stuff. Each girl has a closet full of clothes and toys. Then there is the hall closet that has three shelves of toys/games/art supplies. And the whole toy room filled with toys. And the downstairs closet that has toys. And the three large tubs in the storeroom that have baby/toddler toys. Need toys, anyone? Don't get me started on the kids' books, either.

I have to partly blame my mother for that. You see, when my kids go to Grandma's house they get to play with toys that we had when we were kids. Cabbage Patch dolls, Sesame Street Little People (it is my goal one day to have one of these myself) and the schoolhouse, the books we read. So when I look at my girls' toys, I think of my future grandkids and how much I would love to have them play with the same thing. Hubby's mom is the same way. She has all of his sister's toys like the play oven, ironing board, and picnic table that my girls and the other grandkids use at her house. She also has hubby's original Millennium Falcon and various Transformers that were his. If I have grandkids one day, I'm sure they would love playing with the Little People barn, and zoo, and airport, and house, and school, and ark, right? So I can't get rid of them.

My goal for today is to get some of the toys/books under control. Or at least move them from three or four small boxes to one big tote I can put out in the garage. The storeroom is another project. Somewhere in the maze of boxes I am confident there is a dead mouse hiding out. I know I need to clean/organize and find the thing, but that is about last on a long "to-do someday" list. Maybe by next spring I can get on that and get stuff together for a garage sale. Maybe.

Here are a few toys that my girls love at Grandma's. The pictures are from e-bay. I guess if my mom ever gets desperate, she can put hers up for auction, although the potential money made will never replace the joy these toys have brought over the past 30 years.

This seller is savvy--love the "Buy Me Please" written with the magnetic letters. Yours for the low, low price of $199.99

This is the Sesame Street Little People set. Again, you can buy your own for $165 (plus shipping) on e-bay.

3 comments:

TJ said...

I am working on getting rid of some stuff we have outgrown, too. We don't have a basement, though!

I have went through our books and got rid of all but a few special board books.

A never ending battle....

Unknown said...

I think what's most amazing is we have almost every piece that belongs to those two play sets still.

We're all stuff keepers. At least you have the space for it!

Glenda said...

You are possibly worse than me. I don't keep Christmas cards. I do have a larger fabric/yarn/craft collection tho. However, I am managing the cake decorating stuff by giving it to you......