Monday, March 2, 2009

Let them eat cake!

Even though I've already professed my love for cookies, I do like to bake cakes on occasion. This weekend I will be attempting to make this for my favorite 3 year old nephew:



He loves Thomas just a little bit right now.

I've already started thinking of Emma's birthday which isn't for another 3.5 months. Yesterday I came across this site and I am in love:
I will say I am a little put off by her profile description:
"I enjoy baking and creating sweets for others to enjoy. In 2007 I took a cake decorating class that really sparked my interest. Since then I've been trying to improve my decorating skills. I hope to learn as much as I can about baking and decorating and then share it with you along the way."

Um, hello--that is supposed to be me! :P One of those "Why couldn't I do that?" moments. Why? Oh. . . I know why. Because she is much, much better at what she does than could ever hope to be. Her signature creation are cakeballs on a stick and I'd like to try something like this:

She has come up with all sorts of cakeballs on sticks including footballs, Hello Kitty, Super Dad and more.

If you are hungry, go check her out. Spend a few hours looking around, but make sure you have some napkins on hand to wipe the drool from your keyboard.
This looks perfect for hubby's birthday:


And can I say I lied? While searching for that picture I came across these that Emma may have to have for her birthday instead:

Bakerella, you had me at "cupcake". Now I must go jog three miles to erase the calories I gained just by looking at those pictures.

1 comment:

TJ said...

I admire your talent and motivation. I find a neat cake, see the "10-15 hours to complete" line and say, ummmm... no. ;) I hardly spend that much time cooking our meals in a week.

My mom made crappy cakes for us too, with the cheap candy decorations from the grocery store. My MIL goes all out, but she uses this awful frosting that tastes like pure Crisco. *shutter*