Saturday, March 8, 2008

Betty Crocker

As I've mentioned before, I don't do much crafty crap, but I do bake. It all started with EE's 1st birthday--I got a crazy notion that I would make her a cake with one of those fancy Wilton shape pans. Growing up, we always got a homemade cake for our birthdays--baked in a rectangular pan from a box mix, frosted with a can of frosting, and if my mom was feeling "wild" she would pipe a few shaky words on top. (I will say that my mom was a Home Ec teacher and rocks in the cooking and baking department--I call her at least three times a week with a cooking question. I guess she just didn't get too creative with her cakes). So if I was going to make my firstborn a cake, I was going to go all out.

This was my first attempt at a cake, and it turned out pretty dang good! My hand did have a wicked cramp for months afterwards, though.
Photobucket

EE's second birthday was Elmo/Sesame Street. The party was at our IL's so I ordered a DQ ice cream cake and made these cupcakes:
Photobucket

EE's third birthday was Bob the Builder. I don't know why, she just had a thing for him at that time.
Photobucket

By that time I now had two kids to make cakes for. LC's 1st birthday party had an ice cream cone theme (ironic since she herself can't eat ice cream because of food allergies--how mean am I)

Big cake:
Photobucket

Smash cake:
Photobucket

Cupcakes (yes, those are really cupcakes):
Photobucket

EE's 4th birthday--Flowers and Frogs:
Photobucket

Photobucket

LC's 2nd birthday--dots:
Photobucket

I've also made other cute things like sugar cookies on a stick for SIL's baby shower:
Photobucket

Rice crispies on a stick for EE's preschool (see a theme here? I like things on sticks)
Photobucket

I don't have pictures of a few other cupcakes I've made including some kick ass Bob the Builder ones and the awesome John Deere cake and smash cake I made for my nephew last year. Pictures to come of the monkey cake and cupcakes--they are not finished yet.

Yes ladies, I will make cakes for you but you probably couldn't afford me. Given our current state of employment, I don't think anyone is willing to pay $30,000 for a cake. ;) If I could just make three or so a year, we'd be set!

4 comments:

Bad Mommy said...

You put me to shame. And you should open a cake business, seriously :)

Jenn M said...

WOW is all I'm sayin'. Teri is on to something; seriously, I have a friend who did this for a few years, I'll hook you up if you want to pick her brain.

I'm beyond impressed!

tootsie_roll12 said...

Hi - May I ask where you got the cookie pop mold for the baby shower cookie pops? I have been looking all over for something like that!

Thanks!

Lori T said...

Could you tell me how you made the frog cupcakes. They're so cute! Love the tongues.