Sunday, March 30, 2008

Bookworm

I love to read. We were raised to be readers and we saw both our parents reading for leisure at home. One set of grandparents would give us a book every year for Christmas, and when they sent money to our kids I would always use it to buy books. Both of my sisters are readers (kdotp probably reads even more than me) and I have a SIL, G, who trumps us all. I bet she has read the contents of entire libraries--she is voracious.

A friend of mine introduced me to the site http://www.goodreads.com/ You can track books you've read, make a list of books you want to read, write/read reviews and share with friends. I've found it a great place to keep track of those books you hear in passing and think "Ooo, I want to read that someday." So far my "to read" list is about about 20 books long and I'm chipping away at it. I open my list on goodreads, then go to my library's website and put holds on books I want to read.

Right now I am on a chick-lit and mom-lit kick. I need something quick and easy to read at the end of the day when I don't really want to think about much. I do like to read other types of books, it just seems I gravitate towards those more right now. Dh complains every time I come home from the library and have more of these books to read. He tells me I should be reading books about starting my own business or making money from home. Unless there is a book titled The Foolproof Way to Make Millions by Sitting on Your Ass in Pajamas and Reading Other People's Blogs I'm not interested at the moment. I will say he got me a very cool clip-on reading light for my birthday--bright pink with LED lights.

This weekend I read Remember Me? by Sophie Kinsella. She is the author of the Shopaholic series (a must-read for those who love funny chick-lit). It was good, although maybe not as witty as the Shopaholic books. I've started Peony in Love by Lisa See (she also wrote Snow Flower and the Secret Fan, which is a great book) and also have Size 12 is Not Fat by Meg Cabot (BTW, if I had to pick a book title to describe my life, that would be it right now) and The Curious Incident of the Dog at Night Time which is a fiction book written from the perspective of a teenager with autism. I haven't really gotten into any of them yet, we'll see which one I finish first.

Anyone got any good books to add to my "to-read" list? I love book recommendations!

3 comments:

Mandy said...

Found you through Teri's blog and wanted to say thanks for the awesome link....this is a great way to keep up with books!

Unknown said...

Did I tell you about the "Little Lady" books? I think there's just two right now. Brit chick lit kind of in the line of Shopaholic. They were quick, easy reads.

I haven't read a book in ages. I started in on Pillars of the Earth but had to take it back because it was overdue and there's a wait list on it.

I need to sign up for goodreads.com

The Driftwood Collector said...

I really enjoy goodreads. I'm so excited about finding out about new books through the site - I rarely have the time to just browse at bookstores and the library, so browsing virtually fills that need for me.