Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Oldest trick in the book

Me: (after getting off the computer looking for the school lunch menu since I apparently threw the April newsletter away) Hey Emma, I guess you can go back to bed this morning after breakfast. I was just online and I see that school is cancelled today. They couldn't get the buses started.
Emma: Really? That means we get two days off this week! Friday and today! (Friday is one of those famous "teacher in-service" days)
Dad: (comes out to leave for work) Good morning, Emma!
Emma: Dad, guess what? We don't have school today! They couldn't get the buses started!
Dad: No school, huh? Maybe you can come to work with me.
Emma: Only if they have a play area there.

We had her going; five year olds can be so gullible. ;) We kept alluding to the fact that it was April Fool's Day but she still didn't get that it was a joke. I even told her "April Fool's Day!" and she did her little nervous laugh. When the bus was coming in 5 minutes and she was in her room playing, she still didn't believe that she really did indeed have school today.

Since we got her, she was trying to plot revenge. Except she isn't so stealthy. "Dad, what kind of cereal are you going to eat tomorrow?" Hmm, maybe dad should skip the cereal and have a muffin instead.

3 comments:

Cristin said...

That was really mean... LOVE it!!!

Unknown said...

I can just hear Em's nervous laugh.

You two are so mean.

Bad Mommy said...

Oh my god, that was awesome.