Wednesday, October 29, 2008

I try

I try to be the fun, creative mom--it works about 2% of the time. The other 98% of the time I'm just trying to keep up with daily business.

Emma was home from school on Monday and the two girls actually played very well together. For lunch I decided to do something "special" for them, so we made "Witches Brew". They both love oatmeal, so to the oatmeal we added:
  • dirt (cinnamon)
  • bugs (raisins)
  • mouse poop (chocolate sprinkles)
  • blood (red gel frosting)
  • bug guts (Halloween sprinkles)
  • "Boo" written in black gel frosting

They also had vampire blood to drink (maybe I've been reading a few too many vampire books). That happened to be strawberry milk. After lunch Emma told me, "You are the best mom EVER!"

We continued the theme into supper last night. The girls had some brains (spaghetti noodles), troll boogers (broccoli), goblin teeth (carrots) and we cooked and ate the witches dog who clucked like a chicken (chicken). Once again we had vampire blood to drink.

Last night when I set the plates on the table, Emma's had broccoli on it and Leah's didn't. Leah immediately went into a song and dance about "I don't have any broccoli, yea, yea, yea." I then put a piece on her plate and she said, "Yuck, I don't like broccoli!" I told her it wasn't broccoli, it was troll boogers. "Oh, I LIKE troll boogers!" and she immediately picked it up and took a small bite. The look on her face was priceless because she still didn't like broccoli, but she was trying hard to choke it down. I know the feeling, girl.

Maybe this weekend I will cut their sandwhiches out with Halloween cookie cutters. Just call me Martha.

3 comments:

Jill said...

Visiting via Abnormally Normally. We live in the same city in GA and I was born and raised in Iowa. Very creative meal. I'd do almost anything to get my 2yo to eat.

TJ said...

You are Martha! Stop making me look bad. I did put some Halloween sprinkles on our brownies..... ;) Does that count?

Tara

Unknown said...

I don't know if you're the coolest mom ever for making a meal like that or the meanest mom ever for tricking LC into eating broccoli like that.

At least I still reign as coolest aunt ever. :p