Tuesday, January 13, 2009

The Facebook Love/Hate relationship

Last night as I was flipping channels, I came across a new sitcom and the basis of the episode was someone had reunited with an old friend via Facebook. Of course the old friend has to show the person up, and she ends up wishing she would've never contacted her.

I have professed my love for Facebook before. I have gotten into contact with people mainly from college that I haven't seen in a good 12 years or more. It is fun to see what people are doing, how many kids they may have, where they live now, and how many old pictures people can dig up and post.

I also do some of the applications like word games, they can get a little addicting. Recently my sister-in-law G started a Scrabble game for us to play online, and we went on to play another game. I was never really good at Scrabble but playing online is a lot more fun. I won't mention that I won both games. ;) I had a little bit of help from dear hubby who has a lot more Scrabble experience than me. And G had help from her hubby who thought it would be funny to put up "PASTIE" on her turn without her knowing.

The one thing Facebook can do is make you feel a wee bit inadequate at times. Oh, you just got your PhD from Yale and had a baby? That's awesome? Oh, while I was changing diapers and cleaning up after two kids you flew missions over Iraq and climbed Mt. Kilimanjaro? Wonderful! (Those are actual examples, although I really do like the people who did them). Like hubby says, I chose my path in life. I will admit that, and I was just fine with it when I lived in my own little SAH bubble. Then you get back into the "real" world and see that people actually do things other than take care of kids. I have also been able to see pictures of people's wonderful vacations to Jamaica, Cancun, Aruba, Italy, Florida--just like I had been there myself!

I will continue to love Facebook and know that my life is just as good. If you see me on there, don't be afraid to stop and chat!

2 comments:

Darcy said...

Hey there!
I was just given the Lemonade Award and in turn I am giving it to you. Thanks for making your blog such a special place!
darcy
http://ittybittyblog.wordpress.com

Minyo said...

I like hanging out on Facebook too. Scrabble, Word Twist, Myfarm ... all good fun!