Monday, January 26, 2009

Not quite the cutting edge

When we were growing up, my dad was a bit of a tech junkie. I remember we had one of the first VCR's in town; that was after our disc player. Did any other family have those? The discs were bigger than records--you could even check them out at our small local library. Anyway, when there was a new piece of tech equipment, my Dad had to try it out. He had a cell phone way before I did even, although I did have a cool "bag" car phone when I was in college.

Anyway, the area of tech stuff my Dad didn't get into was video games. I remember as a young child we wanted an Atari like my cousins and friends had. The only time I played the original Nintendo Mario Brothers was when I was babysitting . . . and the kids could always beat me, hands down. We never had any sort of gaming systems growing up. Walkmans? Yes. Games? No.

Since I didn't grow up "gaming", I suck at it. Hubby and I used to play Mortal Combat on his younger brother's gaming system when we were dating--all I could do is push buttons and hope I won. When the original Playstations were "the thing", I collected money from parents and myself to buy hubby one for Christmas. I only played about two games (and we only have about 4 games total) and again, I suck. Now with the advent of X-Box and Wii and PSP and Playstation 3, I've only used them about once. I played Rock Band for the first and only time in October.

Hubby is helping make up for my lack of fun things as a child now that I am an adult. He got me a Nintendo DS (you know, the one that my 5 year old wanted for Christmas) and so far I only have one game. I'm hoping I score a game or two for my birthday. And hubby, being the kid that he is, would love a PS3. I mean come on, its also a Blu Ray player--we need it! It would be perfect for the 46" TV upstairs! He could blow things up and take out stress! I haven't convinced him to buy it yet, maybe if we get some tax money or something.

Since I'm following in my parent's footsteps and so far have denied my poor children anything fun, I pulled out the old Playstation for Emma to play yesterday. She has played Wii more than I have and I'm sure she'll still be asking for one, but for now she can play with her dad's old toy. Now I just need to try and find some Playstations games cheap somewhere. Play on!

4 comments:

The Rupe Family said...

Your girls are still young! You sound like we did two years ago! Though we didn't have the ancient Playstation and hubby hadn't bought me a DS!!!

Go to some of those gaming stores, they have used games for cheap!

And, I bet, someday, you will end up with the Wii! It is a blast and I am sure that even YOU can master Wii Fit!!!

Cristin said...

Oh yes, you can get used ones really cheap! We're all loving the Wii... Graham is great at boxing... I'm scared.

Bad Mommy said...

Dude, HALF.com

Improvedliving said...

Your girls are still young! You sound like we did two years ago!



car games