Saturday, April 12, 2008

Crazy

Crazy is this freakin' weather. Woke up to a nice blanket of snow on the ground, 33 degree temps, and 15-25 mph winds which give us a windchill of 20 degrees. On April 12th.

Crazy is my dh playing in an alumni pep band in a parade today. He gets to pretent to play his sax with frozen fingers in 20 degree weather. He gets to sit on a hayrack for 1 hr before the parade starts and all through the parade, which usually takes a good 1 hr 45 min to 2 hrs.

Crazy is me for thinking that I am going to take two little girls and my mom to said parade. Everyone will have on minimum of 4 layers under their coats. I'll probably even throw in the snowpants to have along. So we are dragging 5 blankets, 2 chairs, 2 pair snowpants, and 1 thermos full of hot chocolate to sit outside for awhile to watch a parade. Sound like fun?

Crazy is me (yet again) for thinking this will be fun. Who the hell is going to be in the parade? I know I would've backed out in this weather. Those girls from the gymnastics school that usually cartwheel through the parade route? Don't think so. People throwing out lots of candy and handing out good stuff like bananas, free car washes, and yard sticks? They gotta be crazy, too.

Its all in the name of tradition. Dh was first in this parade probably his freshman year in college, so its been at least 16 years that we have been to the parade (or at least thought about it; some years we were too far away). Usually after the parade there are all sorts of fun activities on campus that seemed lame when we were in college, but now that we have offspring are a lot more fun. Almost every group on campus has some sort of display or demonstration. There is usually food galore, face tatoos, free junk, and yummy ice cream. Usually the temperature is above 20 degrees. I have pictures from my first time I went--I was in shorts, a t-shirt, and sporting a nice sunburn from sitting outside for 4 hrs. Crazy.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I hope you're staying warm at the parade! I should turn the TV on and see if it's playing on the Cable channel over here. Too bad they moved it up a weekend, if they'd had everything next weekend like they usually do, the weather should be much nicer.

Bad Mommy said...

Hey at least if anyone knocks a couple of cars over and lights them on fire you'll be warm!

Oh wait, Veisha is dry now, huh?

Throw some rum in that hot chocolate. :) Have fun!

Minyo said...

I just found your blog from the BC blog thread. I'll put you in my favorites. I like reading other Iowa blogs!

When we awoke to snow on the ground, we decided we could skip the parade this year. We did arrive at the very end, though, and our 2 daughters were able to fill their pockets with Tootsie Rolls. At least there weren't any riots this year.