Sunday, April 6, 2008

Mind Like a Steel Trap

EE has a great memory and is at that age where her mind is like a sponge that soaks up everything she sees and hears. She is forever going around saying little quotes from movies/tv shows/commercials and we have to ask "Where did you hear that?"

Case in point: We were sitting at the supper table last night eating. EE lets out a small burp and then proclaims, "That's the sign that the tank is full!" After dh and I gave each other a look like "that is your child", we had to ask where that was from. I guess that is what that loveable, orange cat who loves lasagnae says after eating a full meal--we had just checked out Garfield, The Movie from the library. So there you go.

EE also doesn't forget much, although sometimes mommy would like her to. While we were traveling to the IL's over Easter she says, "Remember the one time we came here and mom dropped the DVD player on the driveway and a piece of it broke?" Is this important for some reason? Yes, I remember--let's not bring it up again. Sometimes I use her memory to my advantage, because mommy doesn't always remember things too well. I guess I should've told her to remind me she was supposed to take a Beanie Baby to preschool on Friday to help act out Noah's ark. I forgot, bad mommy.

EE also loves to listen to music, especially before going to bed/naptime. She spontaneously sang "Take Me Out to the Ballgame" when she was 3 because she had been listening to Raffi. Right now she is singing songs from "Free To Be You and Me" Anyone else remember this record/movie? I know we watched it in school when I was in about the 4th grade. I just pulled a few up on YouTube for EE to watch; of course she was singing along.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDGQgSGHGZ0&NR=1

Already she has learned to use her memory selectively. If she gets in trouble for something we told her not to do and we ask what we told her, she usually tries to play innocent and says "I forgot". Yeah right, sister, try again.

3 comments:

Bad Mommy said...

Hmmm, yes. Selective memory starts early. Next comes selective listening. That sucks too.

EE sounds quite precocious... is she fun at parties? ;)

Anonymous said...

I know too well about selective memory and hearing. It comes in the form of a 6'4" 220 pound curly hair man named Ashley.

kmm0305 said...

I will rent her out for any party, she is a party unto herself. ;)