Saturday, August 2, 2008

Call me crazy

Here is the book on my nightstand right now:

Photobucket

I've cracked it open once so far and wasn't too encouraged by what it said. Something along the lines of "if you have tried the 'traditional' method of toilet training, you've already screwed your child up and there is no hope of potty training her in less than a month before preschool starts". I don't remember the page reference, but trust me--that's what it said.

I've really sort-of not really been working diligently on potty training Leah this summer. She will be three in 10 days and old enough to go to preschool this fall. Granted, she will be one of the youngest in her class but I thought she would be ready. I think she is telling me otherwise. Not only is she not potty trained, she tends to freak out at times when other kids get within her personal space. Typically she freaks out with kids smaller than her (makes no sense, does it--she's bigger than them) but I think she knows little kids are less predictible and is scared what may happen next.

So my dreams of having 5 hrs a week with no children may be shattered here in less than a month. I had such big plans for those 5 hrs--getting haircuts without children around, grocery shopping in peace, exercising like a fiend, re-organizing all the closets in the house, actually finishing Emma's baby book, building twin bunk beds from a single piece of lumber (okay, that last one may never happen, I don't think I have the right woodworking tools). But you get the picture.

Speaking of not pooping on the potty (that's what we were talking about, right?) Leah did her first doody in the tub last night. It only happened with Emma a handful of times, and I knew my time was coming with Leah. The girls are now at an age where they don't have to be watched in the tub constantly, so I was out in the living room trying for the 4th time to watch a show I had DVR'ed (still haven't seen the end of it). I head a slightly frantic tone in Emma's voice and think I hear Leah saying "I pooped." Well she had, and for some reason she felt compelled to grab it with her hand and try to hand it to me. Eww. I must now bow down to the
Queen_Of_Poop and be thankful this was our first episode. Almost three years without pooping in the tub, that has to be some sort of record. Now figure out how to poop on the potty today, damn it!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

"Typically she freaks out with kids smaller than her (makes no sense, does it--she's bigger than them)"

smaller kids and her big, fat, red-headed cousin. :p

Just think, if you wait another year for L to start preschool, she and G can graduate together. :)

Cristin said...

The Queen of Poop...You're too funny... Dottie has dookied in the tub a couple times... I actually have video of one but think it may be too much for the blog...

That book sounds so annoying!!! I'm so lucky that Graham's school didn't have potty training requirements...he'll be in kindergarten in the fall and pooping his pants for sure...

Jenn M said...

We so live parallel lives...my monday sucked too and I totally had wash and go hair to boot; now this--Audrey started "potty camp" on Friday. I had no intention on starting now but she started only going during nap and at night and I'm afraid she's going to mess her bladder up or be in a pull up overnight through high school if I don't intervene.
One day though? Nathan's dad still talks about his adventures trying that with him over 33 years ago. I actually tried the Dr. Phil method with my first (3 days tops he says), it didn't work either.
Leah is a superstar though, I won't be surprised if she does it! Good luck!

TJ said...

Go, LC, go! Best of luck to you. Pearl does OK, although she takes full advantage of her nighttime diaper to poop in it.

Matt said...

I had to get Emma trained in two months so she could go to preschool too. Dr. Phil worked like a charm for me! Woo hoo for potty parties!
keep us posted,
Amanda