Thursday, August 21, 2008

Its going to be a long year

The battle of wills has already begun, and its only the second day of school. Emma has some very particular clothing issues (mainly having to do with undergarments and occasionally socks). Underwear really bother her and I have a hard time finding a style that she can wear comfortably. She is constantly complaining and pulling at them and bothered by them. To the point of tears most days.

I'm at a loss over what to do. I do make compromises, trying to buy her clothes that she likes to wear. I haven't purchased a new pair of jeans for her in a year--maybe by winter it will be cold enough that she'll want to wear jeans, but for now they bug her. As do about 90% of all the other pants I bought her last spring and summer.

I had to bribe her to wear the shorts she had on yesterday. Of course once they were on, I'm sure they didn't bother her once all day because she was so busy. But getting to that point involved some begging, bribing, and threats. And it started all over again this morning. I tried to alleviate the whole situation by having her help me pick out an outfit the night before, but then the weather forecast was about 10 degrees cooler than what I thought and we needed to change our plan this morning. Once again, bribes, threats and tears (hey, that sounds like a cool new music group!) were all present before the ungodly hour of 7:15 am. Too early to be fighting with a tired, grumpy kid when you are also tired and grumpy.

I've even pulled out the "I paid a lot of money for those clothes" line; she's not impressed. Off to try and find some suitable options online.

5 comments:

TJ said...

My kids have issues with clothes, too. I buy seamless socks for them(online, but Stride Rite carries some "comfort socks" that aren't too bad).

Also, they are not cheap AT ALL, but Hanna Andersson underwear have been a life-saver for us. They are wonderful. I don't think I can get them into those scratchy character ones anymore.

I have to pick my battles.

Good luck - so far Pearl has kept her clothes on in school. That in itself is a miracle. ;)

kmm0305 said...

I'm about ready to try anything with her underwear right now--its and issue with creeping up in the front (and of course she is always pulling it out, which isn't a very lady-like sight!) I've switches sizes, brands, types, etc. And then there is Leah who isn't even IN undies yet! :P

I think Hanna Andersson is too "girly" for Emma, although I know it would be comfortable. I've been envying a bunch of pieces of Mini Boden right now--too bad both those brands sell for retail on e-bay. :(

Jenn M said...

is it totally out of the question to try boy's boxer briefs? you could get the plain white ones; they look fabulously comfy and may placate her "I'm a boy" thing! Hopefully it won't land her in therapy later!!

kmm0305 said...

Jenn--I may have to try that. I do tend to buy her the "boy short" girls undies; I picked up a pair at Penney's that she wore the first day of school and asked for some more like that. We'll see!

Cristin said...

This scares the crap out of me. Dottie already has opinions on what shoes she wants to wear... and she's only 18 months old!!

Why didn't I just have boys!!!