Sunday, August 17, 2008

Our State Fair

Is a great State Fair (sing along with me!) Before everything happened last week, we had a fun day at the State Fair. My family always went every year when we were growing up. In high school I even lived at the state fair for a week (I was on State 4-H Council--are you impressed?). Once dh and I were married, we went to the Minnesota State Fair every year. Now we are back in Iowa and haven't made it there in a few years. Dh got free tickets (including gate, food, and rides) through work; we tried to make it there on Saturday but Leah was starting to complain her tummy hurt that day. We did go on Sunday and looking back at what we put Leah through, it may not have been the best idea! Oh well, we all had a great time. **please excuse any ginormous pictures--photobucket, the computer and I are not getting along** Where else can you:

See Bob the Builder



Hug an elephant



Look like your favorite college mascot





See a giant blue gorilla selling spas



Ride the sky glider



Go down the giant slide (those are Emma's feet up in the air)



See a giant Army dude go down the slide



Ride dizzy dragons and spinning bears (please do not call CPS on me--we didn't know at that time that Leah's guts were up in her chest)





Pretend to be a farmer









Pose in cheesy cut outs



And see Clifford the Big Red Dog (excuse the photos, our camera sucks)

Those were just a few of the things we did get pictures of. We also saw

A cow made entirely out of butter

A huge pig

And a big bull

(Since we didn't take pictures of these things, the pictures are stolen from kdotp. This is what Emma looked like the last time we made it to the State Fair)

Its been a few years, but we'll be there again next year. Its the only time I can eat a bowl of fruit, fresh fudge, deep fried cheese curds, a huge pickle, a battered and deep fried Snickers bar, and a cup of chocolate chip cookies all in once place. (Yes, that is just what I ate; not hubby or the girls).

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I think G will get a kick out of Little Hands on the Farm next year; we didn't make it there this year. We didn't do nearly as much as usual or I would have liked because we had to stop and rest about every hour, but it was still fun.

TJ said...

You are making me homesick!

Great pictures!

I am off to pick up Pearl from her first day. I hope the school is still standing. ;)

Tara

Cristin said...

You fair looks a lot bigger than ours... we didn't have elephants or huge army dudes...

Deep fried Snickers... I can't figure out it that's the work of God or the Devil....

kmm0305 said...

Yes, G will like the little farm although Leah still needed lots of instruction.

Sorry, TJ! ;) You'll just have to come back with dh on one of his Ames runs in August next year. Hope preschool went well!

Cristin--I will say this is the State Fair which is much, much bigger than the county fair we went to earlier. There were also deep fried Mikly Way, Twinkies, and Oreos!

Glenda said...

You are making me jealous. Actually, I found out that I will be headed down to our state fair on Thursday, to set up a booth in the Ag Pavilion. Of course, it is opening day, so I probably won't even be able to get a snow cone. Soooooo sad.....