Friday, May 30, 2008

Friday's fun, food and floods

Fun: The girls and I went to the library today. Fun, eh? Well at least it gets us out of the house. One of our neighbors was also there, so EE and a good friend played on the computer (which is the main reason EE likes to go to the library--playing on their computer is much more fun than her computer at home). Came home with some new books for the kids, DVD's to keep them entertained, and new CD's for them to groove to.

Food: Took a dreaded trip to the grocery store today. Let's see, wasn't I just there on Monday? Um, yes. And still managed to spend almost $200. I love the local grocery chain because the food is definitely cheaper there, the meat is top rate, and they bag and carry your groceries out to the car for you. The nice courtesy guy I had today was one I've had before, and he's very chatty and loves to share about her personal life (just love to hear strangers talk about themselves). First thing he tells me is, "All this food should last you a long time, huh? You just have two small kids, right?" Well, I meal-planned for a week but did throw some extras in so hopefully we can stretch it out to almost two weeks . . . but why should you care? The faster we eat it up the sooner I'll come back and the more I get to hear about your life. From previous trips I know he works at the grocery store and cleans McDonald's. Today I heard about his 4 kids who live with his wife. His 13 year old wears size 13 shoes--should I continue? WHY ME?? I guess I'm too nice to tell him to shut-up. And I'm also too nice to just ignore. On the good side, I caught a new person at the meat counter and he gave me my baby back ribs for $1.99 a lb--oops. They were $3.89 a lb, then they had a coupon for $2.99 a lb, and being a newbie he screwed something up so I saved myself about $5 and have enough ribs to grill at least two times. Mmmm, bbq baby back ribs on the grill. Yum.

Floods: I guess in my spare time this summer I'm supposed to be building an ark. Funny how I just watched Evan Almighty yesterday. We got some serious storms last night with lots-o-rain which means lots-o-flooding in our town. Thankfully our builder knows his stuff and our house stayed dry; the field behind our house, however, is now a pond. After the library and before the grocery store I was going to get the van washed. I was getting no where as the traffic was backed up and I heard helicopters so I immediately thought car accident. Sure enough, I saw lights up ahead so I turned to go to the grocery store and skip the car wash. Once at the grocery store I find out that the road was flooded, along with about 1/2 the town. Supposedly people were stranded in our new Super WalMart parking lot--how white trash is that? Glad I wasn't shopping there at the time. The golf course just a couple miles from our house is under water. Good times. The helicopter was actually the local news station flying around getting footage of all the water from above.

Grab your boats, watch out for lightning, and pray no tornadoes come through--its going to be a GREAT summer!

3 comments:

Minyo said...

Awesome deal on the ribs. I think I know the store you talk about (headquarters kinda close to your town?). It's my favorite place to shop in my town too. I like how they'll go look for something that's out of stock on the shelves in the back or freezer section.

In fact, when I was in college, I lived a couple blocks from the one in your town...was convenient to walk there when needed. Ah, memories :)

kmm0305 said...

Yup, that is the one. If there is a God in Heaven, the plans will go through to build a new one on the north side of town just MINUTES from where we live--yeah!!! I will say that I haven't had the greatest luck with fresh fruit there lately (like the horrible grapes I bought yesterday) but part of that could be my inability to pick good fruit.

Jenn M said...

Goodnight, y'all have had some serious weather! I hope your weekend was storm free!