Saturday, May 24, 2008

Momentous Occasions

A couple of "big" things have happened around here lately. Momentous occasion #1: Our house is no longer Barbie-free. We happily lived a Barbieless life for 5 years; I don't think the girls ever really knew what/who Barbie was. Then EE got one for her birthday and life will never be the same. I am not a total Barbie hater; I grew up with many a Barbie. They had a lovely plastic house with blow-up furniture (we were too cheap to get the "real" Barbie mansion with actual furniture). Just like my sisters and I, Barbie wore homemade clothes. We had many hours of fun with Barbie, her friends, and accessories. I was just trying to hold off the Barbie phenomenon in our house as long as possible. Of course, as we are getting Barbie and her little sister (is that who that is?) out of her box, EE was already doing an underwear check. And she found out Barbie and sis like to go commando. That was silly (for a 5 year old). Barbie's clothes lasted about 3 hrs, then Barbie was naked (again, accompanied by giggles from the girls). What fun! I told dh to wait until EE was older and got a Ken doll. I remember what Ken and Barbie used to do when they thought they were alone! The girls have learned how frustrating Barbie's accessories are (damn shoes won't stay on, that's what you get for wearing perpetual heels) and I've been reminded once again how much I hate people with thin thighs, even "imaginary" people like Barbie. Skinny bitch.

Momentous occasion #2: I watched a movie for adults (not an adult movie, get your mind out of the gutter!) from start to finish with no interruptions. Well, except that one trip to the bathroom, but thankfully you can pause DVR. I can't even tell you the last time I watched a movie that wasn't appropriate for the girls from start to finish. Any guesses at what I watched? It involved a lot of f-bombs, bongs, and bellies. I think I'm the last woman on earth to see Knocked Up. The sad thing? Dh had watched it himself about 5 months ago. You know what is even sadder? I think the last movie I saw in a theater without kids in tow was a Lord of the Rings movie. I couldn't tell you which one, I just know I was pg at the time. I think I was pg with EE, too, so that would've made it more than 5 years ago. Yes, people, how sad is that. Dh and I haven't been to the movie theater together for more than 5 years. The last town we lived in (for 4 years) I never even stepped foot into the movie theater there. Dh had taken EE to a few movies, but I never went. Sad, sad, sad. I live a pretty pathetic life I tell you.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I haven't seen Knocked Up yet either, so you're not the last one. And what's even worse is our 9-year-old nephew has seen it, *with* his mother's permission.

Bad Mommy said...

But hey, Ken's a doormat. Barbie is usually nekked at my house too.