Thursday, May 1, 2008

Gems from Ems

Ee is a queen of one-liners, which are usually not meant to be funny yet somehow dh and I crack up and can't keep a straight face. That just pisses her off and she tells us, "Stop laughing at me!"

So the past week or so she has been having issues with her panties. Maybe I need to buy her a bigger size or something because she is constantly pulling them out of her nether regions. (Not a very attractive habit on a girl). Last night she had her pull-up on already right before bed and had to pull it out from her girly parts. I asked what was going on and she exasperatedly told me, "Mom, they are stuck up there!" I asked why and she said, "Its like a magnet!" Yes, honey, it is, but let's hope that magnet doesn't start attracting men until you are 28 or so.

EE also gets lectured quite a bit on her attitude (you would swear she was a hormonal 12 year old most days) and showing her parents respect. Everyday. More than one time a day. Has all that lecturing sunk in yet? Appararently not. So once again I was telling her she better have a better attitude, yada yada yada, blah blah blah and she turns to me and says "Mom, I'm having a flashback." Gee, really? To me giving you this speech 6 hours ago? Where does she come up with this stuff?

She is also very bright and curious. We have taught her the semi-correct catch all phrase for female body parts below the waist (I realize you don't pee from your vagina, but it works for us). She has known that for awhile. We are a house that is 75% girls, so she doesn't get much exposure to boy parts. She has seen her two younger boy cousins' "junk" but hasn't asked too many questions. She knows boys pee standing up but girls haven't mastered that feat yet (most boys haven't either, I've heard). Dh was getting dressed and EE saw that his boxers had a hole in the front. She decided it was a peep hole and tried to get a look. After trying to fend her off and let her know that is not okay, she asked, "I just want to know what its called!" Of course dh and I react like good parents--we both fall into fits of laughter and try to change the subject (we try to be open and honest in our family, can you tell?) Finally dh says "Your mom will tell you" to which I answer, "I'll tell you before nap time." At nap time she is anxiously waiting by the edge of her bed for the great mystery to be revealed. I let her know that what boys have is called a penis. To which she says "Oh, I haven't heard of that before" and proceedes to become immediately more interested in something else--like trying to tie her feet together with a belt. Sex talk over, I think it went well. ;)

4 comments:

Unknown said...

See, it's a good thing you have girls. We have lots of penis talk in our house. G walked in on Nate going to the bathroom one day and said "Daddy penis! Go potty fast!"

At least he hasn't started playing with himself...much.

Mary Welsh Hubbard said...

I hate the real names of body parts. In our house it's hoohaz and winkies. I don't know why I have such an aversion to the V word and the P word, I just do. Very distressing when the boys were younger and I had to discuss it with the dr. His a, his, um, you know, his a, p p penis. hhhh. Very mature. My 11 year old said to me the other day...MOM! Things are getting crazy down there! I've got hair popping out all over! mmm, gee, good to know, thanks for sharing.

Jenn M said...

oh mary, thanks for the giggle.

K, great stuff! we are a correct term family too but I have had the HARDEST time telling them "what Audrey had since she doesn't have a penis". I was so right to sweat it too because about a week after I finally couldn't avoid it anymore, Jason, completely out of the blue while eating lunch, asked Audrey's nurse if she had a vagina. Our nurse just about peed trying not to laugh at him so by the time she regained her composure enough to face him and ask him to repeat his question, he changed his question to (are you ready?) "Brit, do you have a toaster?" So of course after telling Nate that he's always asking if he's going to get to see my toaster later, he's so charming!

Bad Mommy said...

Lol, she is quite the sassy one, isn't she?

It's so hard not to laugh at them sometimes....