Thursday, September 18, 2008

A little history

I love doing Wordless Wednesday, but I always have something to say about the picture which defeats the purpose of wordless. (Right, Cristin?) Anyway, as many fellow ISU'ers know, the girls are at Lake LaVerne on the ISU campus watching two swans named Sir Lancelot and Elaine. The swans may change, but their names remain the same.

People often tend to either love Lake LaVerne or hate it (and call it Lake Latrine instead). The fable on campus is if you walk around Lake LaVerne three times with your boyfriend/girlfriend, you will be married. I'm sure at one point hubby and I walked around it three consecutive times (or maybe not, I can't remember).

When I was in school our football team rarely won, even at home. On such momentous occasions when we did win, the students went crazy and tore the goal posts down, carrying them over a mile to dump them into Lake LaVerne. (At least we are a little smarter than the Iowa fans who tore down the goal posts in the Metrodome vs. Minnesota and then realized they couldn't fit them through the doors. They got some real brainiacs at the U of I -"This was not on anyone's radar," said Bill Lester, the executive director of the Metropolitan Sports Facilities Commission, which owns and manages the Metrodome. "I guess you have to be from the University of Iowa to attempt to take an 18-foot pole through revolving doors." )

The lake isn't very big, but at one time you used to be able to do recreational activities on it such as ice skate or canoe. Around the time I started college, they added an aeration system so the water now never completely freezes, which rules out the ice skating. Last year there was a missing student on campus and he was later found in the lake--its hard to imagine wanting to canoe in the lake now. I tend not to bring up that point when the girls and I go visit campus.

If you ever get to the ISU campus, make sure you stop by Lake LaVerne and tell Sir Lancelot and Elaine "hello". It is a very pretty spot on campus, so take a seat on the bench, relax, and watch the students go by.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

And if you're really cool, you'll jump in it for Polar Bear Plunge during Greek Week and then run immediately back to the house to take a shower (or three) to get the stink off you. The super awesome thing was Mom Miller jumped with us that year.

Cristin said...

Very sweet. I think I might have to call swans Lenny and Squiggy though....