Saturday, September 13, 2008

Huck the Fawks

Today is the day---the big Iowa vs. Iowa State football game. This is one of the biggest games of the year in the state. It determines who gets bragging rights for the next year. The rivarly has been strong for as long as I can remember. Let's face it, we don't have anything else--no NFL team, no professional baseball team, no NHL team. College football is it.

Obviously if you have read this blog more than once, you know what side of the fence we sit on. There is no denying the fact that we are born and bred die-hard Cyclone fans. It starts at birth and continues from there. Here is some of the earliest evidence that we are raising our girls right:
Emma
Photobucket
Photobucket

And remember this post? Leah survived 6 weeks (including the start of football season) in the middle of Husker land. We wore our Cyclone stuff with pride:
Photobucket

The girls at the game last week


Emma knew at a tender age that Herky and the "hot dogs" (as she called the Hawkeyes earlier this week) are bad and Cyclones were good. She has passed this knowledge onto her younger sister. We are working on cousin G who lives on the "other" side of the state and has a parent who leans more toward the dark side. We are also working on cousins Cam & Kadance--their parents are Jack Rabbits and we proved earlier this fall that Cyclones rule.

I will let you in on our family's dirty little secrets. 1. My dad attended the University of Iowa briefly. We try not to dwell on that. He is one of the biggest, most optomistic Cyclone fans you have ever seen. Smart guy. 2. I once belonged to a Hawkeye fan club. In 2nd grade a group of boys started a club at recess--dues were 5 cents. I only did it because I wanted the boys to like me. As I remember it, at least one or two of the boys went on to be Cyclones. That was also probably the first and last time I ever pretended to be a Hawkeye fan. Wasn't even worth the 15 cents or so I spent.

Hubby had a pot luck at work on Friday to celebrate the upcoming game. This is what I sent him with:



I will admit that I may not even watch the game. We play in Iowa City today, so we won't be going. I'm such a Nervous Nelly (I get it from my mom, she is the same way)--just let me know what the final outcome is. A Cyclone victory.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I think they're brainwashing G at daycare. He doesn't like to say "Go Cyclones" much anymore, it's always "Go Hawkeyes." Hmph. At least he doesn't know who Herky is, only Cy.

N got up before 5 to go tailgate in the rain, the crazy boy. It's going to be a long day in our house; I probably won't watch much of the game, either. Don't need to send myself into labor or anything.

I once wore black and yellow stretchy bracelets in 1st grade to impress Cory Slining. It didn't work. Hawkeyes suck. GO CYCLONES!!!

TJ said...

I don't know if I will watch either - someone doesn't always have the best language during the game.

I had to go through all this ruckus just to get the game. Last year we had the Big 10 network, but after 1/2 hour on the phone with Dish Network, apparently that was a free preview (for the entire season/entire country). This year is included regionally - not in Oklahoma. So, we had to pay $6/mo to get the multi-sport package! Argh!

Go Clones!

Kim said...

The nervous Nelly thing makes me laugh. Even though you're not Husker fans, you can probably relate to my brother's book--basically it's about growing up in a small town in the context of Nebraska football. He has my mom down to a tee in that book ("she was scrubbing the ceiling because she was so nervous"). It's called "Forever Red: Confessions of a Cornhusker Fan"...or something like that. Sold a lot of copies. He's a newspaper guy, so it's well written, unlike some of those lame Husker fan books!

One of my college roommates was from Indianola, IA (she was on the track team) and I went home with her one weekend and her friends were in both camps and were arguing about it at a party in the middle of the summer. I was like...WTF??? We don't have that, you know, since we just have the one team. I was not prepared for the House Divided stuff here, with UGA-GT. They call it "good old fashioned hate".

I guess that says we should stick with our own kind! HA!

Kim said...

Oh yeah, GO CYCLONES!

We always root for the Big 12!

Cristin said...

Football is so foreign to me... Hubby has been trying for 11 years to explain it to me and I still ask the same stupid questions.. I just don't get it.

I tell him that as soon as Tom Brady is running around that field naked, I'll be watching.