Sunday, November 16, 2008

'Tis the season


Thanks to the retailers who have had Christmas stuff up before Halloween, I am starting to get into the Christmas mood early. Yesterday as the girls and I drove to the mall to deposit "letters" to Santa, one of the radio stations was already into its holiday rotation. Nothing says Christmas like a trip to the mall listening to "It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas". On November 15th.
The Santa "display" has been up at the mall for a good week or more, even though Santa doesn't officially arrive until next weekend (making his grand entrance on a fire truck--the reindeer must stay at the North Pole). Behind the display is a mailbox where you can conviently deposit your letters to Santa--no trips to the post office needed. The girls have been diligently coloring pictures for Santa and had envelopes ready to go. Mind you, this isn't their "list" yet--merely a ploy to butter Santa up with pretty pictures and gifts so he will remember them fondly this year. Since hubby was off watching a football game last night, the girls and I made a trip to the mall so they could "mail" their letters. This will be just the first of many trips to the mall this season I'm sure. They love to go see Santa--from a safe viewing distance. This was as close as Emma got last year (notice how she is attached to John's hip and the forced "I'm scared to death" smile)
Photobucket
Emma is all talk--for the past two years she has said she will not be afraid of Santa. Get within 5 feet and that brave front falls fast. We'll see how this year goes.
I used to not be able to bring myself to buy a present before December 1st. Then I started to do some shopping on Black Friday, so that time frame was moved up. This year I bought some Christmas presents in October. Gasp! The trick will be to remember that I have them when I go to wrap Christmas present later next month. I also bought the girls' Christmas outfits already. Last year I waited until Thanksgiving and the pickings were slim already. Who knew that if I wanted to find a decent Christmas dress I should've bought it in September.
For now, I'm starting to get into the holiday mood. We'll see how long it lasts before the Grinch in me comes out.

1 comment:

TJ said...

COP has a Xmas party with Santa. Last year, Mable told Santa she wanted a Furreal pet. Then, we immediately picked up a gift from COP (a stamping kit and puzzle). She was SO ticked that it wasn't a Furreal pet. She thought she told Santa and poof, 2 minutes later you get what you asked for.

Tara