Tuesday, November 18, 2008

The eyes have it

So yesterday I went and ordered a new pair of glasses--something I haven't done in 5 years. Since both hubby and I wear glasses/contacts it can get pretty expensive. We tend to only buy glasses when we need to clear $250 out of our reimbursement account. The last time that happened was in 2003 when he was let go in February and we had $1000 to spend in less than a month.

My last pair of glasses I got I ended up not wearing that much. I didn't like them--I'm so vain. Don't ask me why I picked them, I guess I thought they were "in" at the time. They were very thin, 1/2 wire frames in a color that blended into my face. Right now if I wear my glasses, I wear my pair from before that, so I don't even know how many years old they are. Older than both my children, and possibly the cat. You can see a picture of me sporting them here.

I think I like the pair I picked out. Yes, they are a little trendy. Yes, they have something written on the side (I always hated that, though it was obnoxious to be advertising what "brand" I wear). Yes, they have a blue accent--I don't wear blue. But I hope I will like them!


The best part about getting glasses right now is hubby finally has eye coverage. With co-pays and upgrading to a thinner lens (that was $40) the final cost was $67.20. I think we had about $65 left in our FSA, so everything worked out. With our vision plan you can get new lenses (glasses or contacts, not both) every year and new frames every 2 years. I'll have to pay for my contacts out of pocket next year, but I've been doing that for 12+ years now.

I do have a habit of picking out things I really like, and then end up not liking them down the road. When we got married we (I) registered for fine china, crystal, and silverware. I was in a gold phase, so everything has gold accents. The china has a gold rim (and other colors, including blue, which is not my favorite), the crystal has a gold rim, and the silverware has gold accents. A bit much now that I look back on it 10 years later. Maybe in another 10-20 years, gold will be all the rage again.

2 comments:

Bad Mommy said...

You have bling! Now all you need is a Juicy couture sweat suit and a Coach purse and you are set.

I like the glasses, they're cute. But if you buy a Coach purse I'll have to mock you for eternity. ;)

Glenda said...

Pictures! We need pictures of the china, etc.....