Monday, December 15, 2008

Oh the weather outside is frightful

I live in Iowa. I can take the bad weather, but when it starts the day after Thanksgiving and doesn't let up for 5 months--that's a little much. We've already had ice a few times, a minimal amount of snow (although that is supposed to change tomorrow) and now we are in the arctic icebox. Yesterday morning the temperature was 53 degrees. It went down to 30 degrees within half an hour. This morning the temperature was below zero, and add into that 30 mph winds. What do you get? Wicked cold wind chills. This isn't supposed to happen until at least January or February.

Because of the cold temps, Emma's school is delayed 2 hours. I even woke up early to check the news--no one was running late at 5:45 am. I woke Emma up about 6:45 am. I turned the tv back onto local news (hubby has started watching the financial reports during breakfast) and school was 2 hours late. Went down to check my e-mail and the school website--nothing. Great school alerts I signed up for! The school website did show the delay after I refreshed the page a few times.

Like I said, it is supposed to snow about 2-6" tomorrow (they have no idea on how much it will actually snow--that's their best guesstimate). Seeing this kind of weather forecast has me hunkered down for the next few days. I sent hubby off for the essentials yesterday--overnight pull-ups for Emma and candy to send into class for them to make gingerbread houses later this week. Can't live without those things, you know. Hubby was glad to hear I would be stuck inside for a few days, he feels I can't spend much money that way. I asked him, "Haven't you ever heard of online shopping?" Let's go see what I can find . . . .

2 comments:

TJ said...

It is cold here too. 16 or so.
I have my credit card number memorized, so there is no stopping me from online shopping.

Pearl is a great colorer, especially compared to Mable who couldn't care less about coloring at that age.

Have a warm one!

Tara

Rae Ann said...

We are icy here in Texas, too. My husband is a cop and he has been working wreck calls all day. Texans apparently lose their minds when temps dip below freezing!

I just finisheed up my (online) Christmas shopping today. I don't think I purchased a single present in a store this year! Sorry local economy!