Wednesday, December 10, 2008

"Santa's Watching!"

I don't think we've really had to use the whole "Santa's watching" excuse to bribe our girls into good behavior over the years, but I did pull out that gem last night. The girls took an early bath so they had some playtime before we start our bedtime routine. They were playing around (chasing each other, being loud, playing some sort of game) and then it was time to settle down and watch a bit of TV. Yes, I know what the experts say--don't let your children watch TV and especially don't let them watch TV before bedtime. But it has been part of our bedtime routine since Emma was about 18 months old so it isn't changing anytime soon.

Anyway, the girls had a choice to watch a little more of a Christmas movie on TV or watch a DVD in Emma's room. They chose TV. They were instructed to sit down and just watch TV. How hard is that? I would love it if someone told me, "Just sit there and watch". I went into my bedroom to put my pj's on and I don't think there was much sitting going on. I come back out and Emma says, "I think there is a problem." What? A strand of the Christmas tree lights was out (they are touchy) and all the ornaments and tree were moving slightly. Why is the tree moving? "Because I accidentally hit it with my foot." Uh huh.

Mom wasn't too happy, so she brought out the old, "Even if I can't see you, Santa is watching and he knows if you are being naughty. What would Santa say?" I did feel bad playing the Santa card because usually they are fairly well behaved.

Many people are also using this as a form of behavior modification before Christmas:


The Elf on the Shelf: A Christmas Tradition™ is an activity the entire family will enjoy. Based on the tradition Carol Aebersold began with her family in the 1970s, this cleverly rhymed children's book explains that Santa knows who is naughty and/or nice because he sends a scout elf to every home. During the holiday season, the elf watches children by day and reports to Santa each night. When children awake, the elf has returned from the North Pole and can be found hiding in a different location. This activity allows The Elf on the Shelf to become a delightful hide-and-seek game.
We may have to try that one next year. I also had a friend who resorted to actually "calling" Santa when her 2 yr old wasn't behaving. She literally picked up the phone and tortured her poor child by making her believe she was on the line with the Big Guy. I haven't gone that far . . .yet.

6 comments:

TJ said...

We did the Elf this year. I don't use it too harshly, that takes the joy out of it. More of a "I hope Santa doesn't hear a bad report tonight!"

Daren thought it was a silly concept. However, he has moved the elf the last 5 days so I think he enjoys it more than I do.

Unknown said...

A lot of the March Mommies are doing that with their kids. G doesn't really get the idea of Santa yet, so we haven't had to say much.

Too bad you can't threaten dogs; Ripley can still get behind the tree to the window. I'm just dreading the day I come home and the tree is on its side because the stupid dog had to bark at someone walking by.

Kim said...

A woman from my church and her daughter wrote that book. They are amazed at how well it has done, and is a huge business now.

Bad Mommy said...

*Raises hand*

I've totally called Santa. And emailed him.

NOT effective.

Jenn M said...

dude, we're doing the elf this year and have to make a call to santa at least once/year since Jason was born. A friend of mine used to use email until son started to read!
Your house is clearly better run than ours!!! TV before bed or not, you are a super mom!

Cristin said...

The Santa threat has done nothing to curb Graham's evil doings...

I've considered the Elf on the Shelf... but I'm a little creeped out by it...